Student Travel Grant
HOW TO APPLY
Simply complete the Student Grant Travel Application Form.
Only GSAS students who have not yet received a Student Travel Grant from ASGC (or from former GSAC) are eligible to apply.
Our deadlines are based on when conference proposals have been accepted (as opposed to actual conference dates):
- For acceptance letters received May 1 - September 21 2018:
- Application due September 21 2018
- Recipients announced by the end of September
- For acceptance letters received September 14 - November 21 2018:
- Application due November 21 2018
- Recipients announced by the end of November
- For acceptance letters received November 14 2018 - January 25 2019:
- Application due January 25 2019
- Recipients announced by early February
- For acceptance letters received January 18 - April 26 2019:
- Application due April 26 2019
- Recipients announced by early May
Funding is on a reimbursement basis, i.e., you must submit receipts for expenses up to the amount awarded by ASGC. This must be done by preparing a reimbursement packet, affixed with a paper clip, of the following (in this order):
- The ASGC Travel Grant award letter (email).
- A completed Columbia Travel and Business Expense Report (opens in a new tab).
- The person to be reimbursed is the Payee.
- Complete the box labeled “overall business purpose.” The description should be comprehensible to an Accounts Payable auditor. For example: “Roundtrip airfare between JFK and LAX on DATE to present paper at X conference”
- Do not forget to sign and date the report
- An advertisement for the conference (preferably listing your name).
- Original receipts documenting all of the expenditures approved for the grant. For expenses in a foreign currency, please document how you converted them to US dollars.
- Tape (not staple) each receipt to a separate piece of 8.5″ by 11″ paper; more than one receipt per page is allowed as long as it is clearly marked and legible.
- Arrange the receipts in chronological order
To receive a reimbursement, deliver a printed copy of the reimbursement packet to Harold Ansah in 109 Low Library and fill out the Student Travel Grant Reimbursement Form within 30 days following the conference.
Q: Are there any other travel grants available at Columbia that I can apply to?
A: We suggest that you apply to the GSAS conference matching travel fund before applying to ASGC. The GSAS travel grants are guaranteed for the eligible candidates. Check our Useful Links page for other grants.
Q: I already attended the conference, can I still apply for a travel grant?
A: Yes. Remember that you must have original receipts to apply for reimbursement. If you didn’t save your receipts, you shouldn’t apply because you won’t get reimbursed.
Q: I submitted an application and haven’t received an email saying whether or not I was selected to receive a travel grant.
A: ASGC only emails the recipients, if you’re wondering whether they’ve been selected check on this webpage.
Q: I am a 10th year student in the _____ department, am I eligible to apply?
A: All current GSAS students are eligible to apply as long as they meet the eligibility requirements listed above.
Q: Can I use the travel grant to attend a conference other than the one that was listed on my original application?